Skip to main content


Explore Funding for Your Care Needs

At The Right Home Care Team, we understand that navigating the care needs assessment process can be daunting.

We are here to support you every step of the way, ensuring your loved one receives the care they need.

When the Council Might Pay for Your Care

You may be eligible for the local council to contribute towards your social care costs if you have less than £23,250 in savings. From October 2025, this threshold will rise to £100,000.

The exact amount the council will pay depends on your care needs and financial situation.

Some services are provided free of charge if assessed as necessary, regardless of your income. These include small equipment or home adaptations costing less than £1,000 and care after hospital discharge.

How to Determine Eligibility

The first step is to undergo a needs assessment conducted by your local council. This assessment is free and anyone can request one. It evaluates how much help you need with daily tasks and your overall health.

If the assessment identifies a need for care, a financial assessment (means test) will follow to determine your contribution towards the cost.

Understanding the Financial Assessment

The financial assessment will determine:

  • Whether the council pays the maximum amount, with you contributing a part.
  • Whether the council pays a smaller portion, with you covering the rest.
  • Whether you pay the full cost of your care.

If the council contributes to your care, you will receive a personal budget. This can be managed in three ways:

  • Direct Payment: Funds are paid directly to you to manage your care.
  • Council-Arranged Care: The council arranges and pays for your care services.
  • Third-Party Management: An organization manages your personal budget on your behalf.

Your Rights and Choices

You have the right to decide how your personal budget is spent. If you need to live in a care home, you have the right to choose where you live, with the council providing at least one affordable option.

If you prefer a more expensive home, a relative or friend can pay the difference (top-up fee).

If you are unhappy with the council’s suggested home help, you can request a change. For advice on care costs and benefits, you can contact:

  • Age UK: 0800 678 1602

  • Independent Age: 0800 319 6789

  • Money Helper: 0800 111 3797

How to Get a Needs Assessment

Contact your local council’s social services to request a needs assessment. This can be done online or over the phone.

The assessment will evaluate how well you manage daily tasks and identify any necessary home alterations or support services.

Use the website to find your local council and social services.

Preparing for Your Assessment

Prepare by listing all daily tasks you struggle with and considering possible solutions. It helps to have a friend, relative, or advocate present during the assessment to ensure all your needs are communicated effectively.

We have created a free checklist that will help guide you through the process.

Getting the Results and Paying for Care

After the assessment, the council will decide if you qualify for care and support. If you do, they will conduct a financial assessment to determine any contributions you need to make. If the assessment finds you do not qualify, the council will still provide advice on alternative support options.

Care needs can change, so councils review care plans at least every 12 months. You can request an earlier reassessment if your situation changes significantly.

By partnering with The Right Home Care Team, you will receive comprehensive support throughout the assessment process, ensuring you or your loved one receives the necessary care and support. Contact us today to learn more about how we can assist you.

Further Information

For further support and guidance contact us on 01246 956265 or request an appointment.


Do you want to know more or need a consultation?